Saturday, August 2, 2008

Building a body around a finger

This week was one of the most unusual recording sessions with Natalie Pifer, but we had to do it this way because she is going back to school and probably won't be back for a few months, if not Christmas. It's not unusual because of Natalie... she's a star, in her own right. In fact, she shined throughout the sessions. What makes it unusual is that I am taking her guitar and vocal recording session and building a song around it.

It's like taking a finger and building a body around it.

Don't ask me how I'm going to do it. I don't know yet. I'm just going to play this as I go along. I'm going to go where the spirit leads me. Nothing more. To me, it's unusual because I never record the vocals until last. This time, I recorded a whole bunch of vocals against a guitar track and we're going to take it from there. For all I know, this just might work. I've never tried it before, but I'm always willing to try some new methods to get the best out of a song. For all I know, it could be another great way to write a song.

Mind you, it does create another huge task... making the song sound as great as her vocals. She's blessed with the most fabulous voice I've ever heard. I want to make sure that she has great music behind her. At times this feels so much bigger than me. I guess that's a good thing.

So, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna grab that finger and start building that body!

No comments: