Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Satori... Linux... NOT!

While I'm waiting for a repository to download, I figured I would take out my laptop and take a renewed shot at Linux (CentOS 5) and see if I could get any instant awakenings with it. So far, I still feel like a deer in the headlights with it. It must be psychological. Reason being is because I'm always working in the underbelly of my Mac, which is FreeBSD Unix. I know my way around FreeBSD as run on my Mac. I don't know what it is on a Linux box that still shuts me down.

Perhaps, I just need to pick up a good book and follow a few exercises to get me through this initial hump and then perhaps the lights will come on with it. Problems is that I will need to pick this up rather quickly... as in crash course quickly! I have some new freelance clients that I want to keep separate on their own sandbox. I don't want things intertwined on my computers as I did in the past. The way I see it, it's either a Windows VM or a Linux VM, and I'd rather do Linux, even if it means I have some extra homework to do.

Fortunately, I have a couple of friends that work with CentOS. I may have to rattle their cages.

No comments: