Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Overambitious at the mixing board!

Okay... so after Joelle and I listened to Natalie P.'s mix on Monday night, we felt that the bass guitar had to be pulled back. Of course, when I was trying to look at how far to pull back the bass, I may have gotten a little overambitious with it because I didn't quite get how much was too much. I got my answer in the car this morning. I heard no real bottom. That's not good because now it just her voice and guitars against a very weak drum set and no bass guitar. So now I'm going to have to bring it up the bass and kick a db or so... just enough to shine through.

At least I can say that I have now had both extremes on the song. So, the trick will now be to find a delicate balance. I will have to put aside my feelings and try to mix this thing objectively. I have to carefully listen to the song and see where the bass has to fit. If I have to carve a few more frequencies out, so be it. The trick will be finding where. I may have to thin the guitars out a bit to give the illusion that there is more bass. Funny how our ears work that way.

All I can say is, let's hope it works.


No comments: