Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Getting back at the telemarketers!

The following is a conversation between a telemarketer and me that took place today. It started off with the following recorded message:

"This is the 2nd notice that the warranty on your vehicle is about to expire. If you do not act now, you will no longer be eligible for extended coverage of your vehicle. If you would like to speak to a representative, please press '1'"

Of course you can tell that I was not going to turn down this opportunity to speak to our Professional Expert Sale Telemarketer (aka PEST). So here we go:

PEST: Thank you for calling our vehicle warranty department. Now if you would be kind enough to answer a few questions...

jord: Sure, after you can answer me one question.

PEST: And what is that?

jord: What kind of car do I drive?

PEST: For privacy reasons, we can't reveal that information.

jord: You have my phone number, which obviously doesn't seem to be private. From there, you can find my address and there you can simply drive to my house and see my car sitting on my driveway. From there, you can get my vehicle records from the Ministry of Transport. All of this is public information. So, if you can't tell me what kind of car I drive, then how can you tell my warranty is expiring?

PEST: Our company is going to put your number on our do not call list. Have a great day...

*click*

I only wished two things:
1) I could have recorded the call at the time
2) Joshua was here to listen to it... he would have loved it.

By the way, the telemarketer's number showed up on my phone as (909) 650-9173 so feel free to bother them just as they bothered you about your "warranty". Next time, it will be an MP3 of our conversation. So much for being a "Do Not Call" list in the first place. It only seems like it's a directly for telemarketers. It's like answering SPAM.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I wish I had been that creative. I just asked what they were doing calling my teenage daughter's cell-phone before they hung up on me.

Athena said...

I just got this number on my cell and googled to find it who it was. I also get junk mail telling my car's warranty is about to expire. Glad I know who this is now! Thanks!